Saturday 25 May 2013

Charlie 1, Slugs 0

On a previous post I shared the saga of Charlie v The Slugs...well, I have an update. For the first time ever, it appears that my tireless husband has won the upper hand...

 After the freezing cold downpours of March and early April we were starting to get really worried that we wouldn't be enjoying any veg from our garden this year. We are sowing everything direct and that means we needed warm soil, but the brass monkeys weather meant time was tick tick ticking and there were still no bloody seeds in the ground. Still, the sun poked his head out at last and we charged into the garden with our little brown packets of 'Real Seed' and seeded up all our raised beds. Trouble was...wet weather and clay soils = slugs, and lots of 'em!..and we inwardly groaned at the thought of the slimy black  swines eating their way through our seedlings. But then my intrepid husband found 'Nemaslug' on the internet. 


I'd heard of them before but never tried it. It all sounded deeply suspicious to me. Strange little nematodes that kill slugs and don't harm anything else!?!? And if you believe that I've got a nice bridge I can sell you! Charlie, however, was desperate to protect out little seedlings. He ordered a pack and watered it in.....and.....well, nothing......everything is growing. There's no slug damage....anywhere. The peas are sprouting away unmolested. Everything in the garden is happy. I stand corrected, I eat my hat along with my words....they only bloomin' work!




No comments:

Post a Comment