Wednesday 8 May 2013

Rising Above It

After our disaster with the potatoes last year we decided we really needed another raised bed to minimise the damage from surface flooding. I'm good with words and plants but not so good with the whole DIY thing, so in steps my better half to take over. I asked Charlie to write this blog entry as  but he's a bit shy on the blog front he respectfully declined so I've done my best. You understand that I was merely the supplier of coffee and the occasional 'That's looking great my love', so I may be a bit sketchy on the technical side of the construction of the bed....


Charlie saws the wood to the appropriate length with a chopping whirligig machine
that looks like it will take your thumb off soon as look at you.

These are the lengths of wood. Charlie informs me there were 2 x 8' and 2 x 7 '.


He clamped them together with these clampy thingimawhatsits and screwed them together.


Job Done!!


Sorry I can't be more specific. He made it look very simple and the bed was up in less than an hour. We used soil from another part of the garden to fill in and mixed in some multipurpose compost and that was that. So we're all systems go with Bed A, and not before time as the sun has finally come out.. By the way we found an ingenious way of keeping Minion 6 amused while all this was going on. She is now 15 months and is nicknamed 'Baby Dragon' because she roars at people and generally causes destruction and mayhem wherever she goes....but not, it seems, when she's zipped into a trampoline with a few toys and Charlie's fishing umbrella to keep the sun off us (don't call the authorities. We are generally good and loving parents and she really enjoyed the trampoline).




So all the beds are now up and running. We have sown seed in all of them and are waiting for our seedlings to pop out.  Charlie came up with a great plan to assist with seed sowing. He got an old length of wood and cut it to the width of our raised beds. Then he drilled holes 1" apart all along the wood (see right). I used this when I was putting the seed in the ground and it was brilliant to help get the spacing right. I used a pencil poked through the wood to make the sowing holes....easy! I still haven't managed to plant my Alpine trough yet but the garden is looking good and we're hoping for some good weather to help our little seedings in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment